Once in a while I like to have a stuffed or layered pasta dish for dinner. But sometimes the task in making it can be quite daunting. This dish in particular has three important parts to bring all the components together. That’s why it’s a ‘once in a while’ dish, but still really good. Most of the time I like quick and easy meals and of course there are times where I am up for the challenge. 😀
Any of the sections of this recipe can be tweaked to your liking. If you make it and like it, please let me know. If you made any variations or changed it up, I would love to hear your feedback. So, get out the bottle of your favorite wine and have a glass for me too! Cheers! 😉
Bechamel Sauce Ingredients:
• ½ C of Refined Coconut Oil
• ½ C of Unbleached Flour
• 3- 4 C of Non-Dairy Milk (I used Soy)
• 2 Heaping TBSP Nutritional Yeast
• 1 tsp of Garlic Powder
• ¾ tsp of Nutmeg
• ½ tsp Dried Parsley Flakes (optional)
• ½ tsp of Onion Powder
• 1/2 tsp of White Pepper
• 1 tsp Sea Salt
1. In a medium saucepan on medium low heat, add the coconut oil and allow to melt.
2. Add the unbleached flour and whisk into oil for about 1- 2 minutes to cook the flour.
3. Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients.
4. Slowly start adding the non-dairy milk a little at a time and whisk until the sauce is nice and creamy. (If sauce is still too thick, add a little non-dairy milk to loosen it. When you dip the spoon, run your finger down the back of it. If the rest of the sauce remains lightly coated on the spoon, then the consistency is good.)
5. Taste for seasonings, remove from heat and set aside.
Tofu Ricotta Ingredients:
– 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu, drained & crumbled fine
– 1/4 C Vegan Half & Half (I used So Delicious Coconut Creamer)
– 1 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
– 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
– 1/2 tsp Ground Flax Seed
– 1 tsp EnerG Egg Replacer (optional)
– 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
– 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
– 2 pinches of Black Pepper
1. Place all ingredients into a bowl and blend with a spoon. For a creamier consistency this can also be added to a food processor or utilizing an immersion hand blender. Taste for seasoning.
• Box of Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
• 2 small Carrots or 1 large carrot, quartered
• ¾ Red Pepper, seeds removed and quartered
• 1 small Broccoli Crown, small diced and steamed
• 1 medium Onion, quartered
• 2 Cloves of Garlic, peeled
• 3 small handfuls of Spinach, stems removed
• 1-2 TBSP Olive Oil or 2 TBSP of Filtered Water
• 3 Pinches of Sea Salt
• 2 Pinches of Black Pepper
• Nonstick cooking spray
• Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds
1. In a food processor or chopper, add the quartered onion and garlic and pulse or process until finely diced. Empty and set aside.
2. In the same food processor or chopper, add the quartered red pepper and pulse or process until finely diced. Empty and set aside.
3. Add the quartered carrots to the processor or chopper and pulse or process until finely diced. Empty and set aside.
4. In a medium skillet on medium high heat, add either a tablespoon of olive oil or a tablespoon of filtered water, add the onions and garlic to the pan, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. In the same skillet, add the red pepper and the spinach, sprinkle with a pinch each of sea salt and black pepper and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes until the spinach just starts to wilt. Remove from pan and set aside.
6. Again, in the same skillet, add the carrots, sprinkle with a pinch each of sea salt and black pepper. Sauté for about 6 – 8 minutes until carrots have slightly softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
Assembly & Cooking Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In a small to medium rectangle baking dish (make sure it is at least 2 ½ to 3 inches deep), spray with cooking spray.
2. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of béchamel sauce to the bottom of the pan until fully coated. Place the first layer of oven ready noodles (if need be, slightly overlapping each other to fit the pan).
3. Spread about a quarter cup of the Tofu Ricotta (does not have to be even, plus the veggies will have room to nestle in between) along the top of the noodles.
4. Take the broccoli and sprinkle over the top of the ricotta.
5. Sprinkle with the sautéed onion and garlic where there isn’t broccoli.
6. Add a little bit of the béchamel sauce on top then add more dry noodles to cap the layer.
7. Repeat Step 3.
8. Take the carrots and sprinkle over the top of the ricotta and sprinkle the onion garlic mixture in between the carrots.
9. Repeat step 6.
10. Repeat step 3.
11. Take the red pepper and spinach mixture and sprinkle over the top of the ricotta. Then, sprinkle the remaining onion garlic mixture to complete the layer.
12. Cap with dry noodles, add the remaining béchamel sauce, sprinkle with vegan mozzarella shreds.
13. Cover pan with tin foil. Place pan into oven and bake for about 45 minutes, then remove tin foil and place back into oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Notes: In the ‘Layering Ingredients’ section, directions 5 – 6, you will need to add either olive oil to the pan or filtered water so that the veggies don’t stick to the pan. Any vegetable in season can be used in place of the veggies I have used here. Also, if you want a spicy kick to either the béchamel sauce or the tofu ricotta, you can add your spices there. However, I would only add a little a time until desired spiciness. 🙂 Enjoy!